Why should you see a psychologist?
Are you struggling with emotional difficulties? Do you feel like something is not quite right? Speaking to a psychologist can often help to provide strategies and other ways of thinking and coping. It also helps sometimes to share with someone outside of your family or friendship circle.
Darwin Psychology Services can assist you with:
- Anxiety / Depression
- Grief and bereavement
- Stress management
- Relaxation techniques
- Sexual abuse/incest
- Sexuality counselling
- Domestic/family violence
- Behaviour management
- Learning disabilities
- Cognitive assessment
- Employment and return to work
- Workplace issues
- Teenage adjustment
- Divorce and separation
- Health and medical conditions
Being a parent is probably one of the most important and difficult roles that you could be asked to fulfil. Parents frequently have a wide range of questions regarding their child’s development. Some questions may include:
- Is my child’s potential being developed?
- Is my child achieving the appropriate developmental goals for their age?
- Is my child further ahead in some areas than others?
- Where is my child at developmentally?
- Does my child have an intellectual or developmental disability?
- Is my child gifted?
- Am I meeting my children’s needs and being a good parent?
Psychological Assessment and developmental screening are undertaken by psychologists who are registered with the Australian Psychological Society. Assessment is carried out using a variety of different methods, this can include:
- Psychological tests, including daily living skills, intelligence tests, behaviour assessments and personality tests
- Developmental tests, using milestones
- Play sessions
- Observations at home, child care, school and other age appropriate settings
Assessment can also be carried out in a number of settings, including:
- Home environment
- Psychologist’s office
- Child care centre
- School or other settings your child attends
Darwin Psychology Services can assist you in answering many of your questions about your child’s development and learning by providing the following services:
- Assessment for children who are gifted
- Assessment of children with disabilities
- Developmental screening for young infants
- Behavioural assessment and intervention
- Program development and monitoring
- Consultancy service to schools, child care and other agencies involved with children
- Liaison with Paediatricians and other medical and educational personnel
Darwin Psychology Services also offers assessments for adults, these include:
- Problem solving
- Court ordered
- Adjustment to life changes
- Social and emotional development
- Work readiness and vocational aptitude
- Mood disorders